Pages

Thursday 17 October 2013

I'm in charge! Wait - I'm in charge?!

...of the phones and of my little office for the day. My main supervisor was out, and my heart stopped beating for a second or two when I found this out. My only thought: the phones.
Now, even though I can make phone calls no problem, I still quiver at the sound of the phone ringing. I find it extremely difficult to answer the phones, because people start asking me questions about the newspaper that I can't answer!
I end up stuttering and asking them to repeat what they said. It's so embarrassing.

I am however, writing articles! Some of them are press releases, others are articles that I have to form with from various phone calls and other research. That's right, the dreaded -ph word. But it's alright when I have to make them...because I write a little speech to say so I don't get stuck. How awkward!

Anyway, for the first half of my day it was answering phones and piecing together articles. I was actually getting better at answering the phones, because almost every phone call consisted of the same speech:
"Good morning, Liffey Champion, Jessica speaking.... oh, right, well, Marcella is the person you were talking to about that, and she actually isn't here at the moment, she'll be back on Friday morning. If you give me your name and phone number I can get her to phone you back. Ok, yeah. go ahead. *phone number* Yeah. Ok, brilliant. I'll get her to phone you back on Friday morning. Ok. Bye, bye. bye bye bye."
Every. single. time.
For the second half of the day, I was answering less phone calls and then I moved into the Newsroom to do some more focused writing. All of the journalists had gone home at about 3pm, and my media supervisor was going home at 4:30pm. I told my boss this and he said that I could go home at the same time as her.

My third day was alright.

0 comments:

Post a Comment